5 May 2008
Gartner Rose today unearthed an old colonial road, used by early settlers,
that has laid buried for some 150 years.
The road and retaining wall was discovered by Gartner Rose employees
whilst carefully excavating below The Mariners' Church, at 100 George St,
Archaeologist Dr Wayne Cooper, working on the site with Gartner Rose and
Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority, believes the road, formerly known as
"Bethel St" was built in 1858.
NSW Planning Minister, Frank Sartor, visited the discovery and praised the
discovery and its significance.
Gartner Rose Project Manager, Marc Witham, praised the work done on site
by Foreman Gary Male and his team of heritage experts.
To view more details about the 100 George St job click here.