The Front Garden has undergone numerous changes in its layout and use
since its establishment in 1844, located within the north-east portion of
the Norma Parker Centre/Kamballa site.
As such, the Norma Parker Centre/Kamballa site incorporates the Roman
Catholic Orphan School (1844-1886) and various other institutions for
women including the Parramatta Industrial School for Girls, the
Parramatta Girls Training Home, the Parramatta Girls Industrial School
(Parramatta Girls Home) and Kamballa Children's
Shelter for Girls, Norma Parker Correctional Centre for Women, and
finally the Norma Parker Periodic Detention Centre for Women from 1997 to
The Cumberland Hospital has also incorporated many uses over its years.
Established in 1818, the site has incorporated the Female Factory,
Parramatta Lunatic Asylum, Parramatta Hospital for the Insane, Parramatta
Mental Hospital, Parramatta Psychiatric Centre and since 1983 to present,
the Cumberland Hospital.
Each of the Parramatta North Historic Sites is of exceptional cultural
heritage significance and together they make an important contribution to
the significant collection of historic government institutions on the
Parramatta River. In addition, Aboriginal cultural heritage and
archaeology values extend across the sites.