Victoria Cottage Project Completion
Gartner Rose is delighted to announce the safe and successful completion of Victoria Cottage for Hector Abrahams Architects.
Victoria Cottage is a late Victorian double fronted facade residence that has been unoccupied for the last 30 years and possesses characteristics that are uncommon around the Leichhardt precinct.
Designed by the architect Ambrose Thornley Jnr (1844 – 1911) it was the original display home for the “Excelsior Estate”, developed by the Excelsior Land, Investment and Building Society. Thornley is better known for his magnificent Victorian Free Classical buildings including the Glebe Town Hall and The Gresham Hotel in the CBD.
The first phase of works included, but not limited to:
- Removal of the existing corrugated iron roof and replacing it with a slate roof
- Renewal of the gutters and down pipes
- New facia and eaves
- Installation of new front stairs to the porch
- Tiling of the floor
- Installation of new balustrading
- Rendering and patching to any cracked walls (both internal and external)
- Reinstallation of all new windows throughout
- Installation of side hoods over windows
- Hanging of new doors throughout
The second phase of works involved an extension to the existing house, with works consisting of:
- A new two-storey dwelling comprising a kitchen, dining room, main bedroom, dressing room, 2 bathrooms, laundry, garden room, veranda and a carport
- Façade sheeted with galvanised mini orb metal sheeting
- Corrugated galvanised metal roof
- Timber frame and brickwork structure
The final phase involved exterior works consisting of:
- Palisade galvanised steel fencing surrounding the property with an electronic sliding gate to Cary St and a pedestrian gate to Thornley St
- Landscaping around the property with paths and gates included
- New layback and driveway
The project was successfully completed on schedule, on budget and with zero LTIs.
Congratulations to everyone for bringing this project to a safe completion and a special thanks to the project team, subcontractors and suppliers that have tirelessly helped throughout the project.