Lower Fort Street, Millers Point
This magnificent sandstone residence began life in 1842 as the Young Princess Hotel, a local landmark in Millers Point, before becoming The Whalers Arms Hotel, initially servicing (as the name suggests) the whaling community. During the mid-twentieth century it was converted into a general store, before being abandoned and left to deteriorate.
In 2006, the Department of Housing granted a private client a 99-year residential lease on the condition that the property was meticulously restored in line with its heritage.
Restoration included stripping and rebuilding the entire interior of the four storey property, as well as repairing and repointing all external stone. Original balconies were reconstructed, the chimneys were rebuilt and the roof was rebuilt and re-slated. The interior of the building was completed to the highest prestige residential standards.
The result was a magnificent home completed to the highest level of details.
QH Nominees Pty Ltd
December 2006 - October 2007