SP0001 Ultimo Refurbishment Project Completion
Gartner Rose is delighted to announce the safe and successful completion of the refurbishment of Sydney Pump Station SPS0001 in Ultimo for Sydney Water Corporation.
SPS0001 is of historic, aesthetic and technical/research significance. Historically it was part of an original network of twenty sewage pumping stations constructed in Sydney at the end of the 19th century. The station was a key component of this network, being the largest controlling station for the performance of the other first generation stations. The station is also historically significant for its association with the Bondi Ocean Outfall Sewer (BOOS), which was Sydney’s first ocean outfall.
The construction of SPS0001 and the BOOS (ten years earlier) formed a part of the major advance in the protection of the public health of Sydney by ending the discharge of sewage into the Harbour. They were built as a direct response to the outbreaks of Enteric Fever (Typhoid) which plagued Sydney from the 1870s to 1890.
Aesthetically it is an excellent example of a substantial and prominent industrial building designed in the Federation Free style which due to its scale, colour, texture and location has considerable streetscape value. In its surviving fabric, SPS0001 provides evidence of technical excellence in traditional construction techniques and craftsmanship, such as the stone dressings around the entrance openings.
The scope of works on this project included:
- Re facing, renewing and replacing 90% of the stone façade
- Re bricking parapet walls to their existing heights
- Replacing 26 timber external windows and re glazing 8 existing sashes
- Demolishing the existing loading bay steel roller doors to full height timber swing barn doors
- Cutting out existing door and window openings in the façade
- Complete roof restoration works to renew the existing pitched roof and box gutters
- Re slate and terracotta ridge cap the newly pitched roof
- Complete re build of the internal amenities
- Opening up internal doorways and installing new heritage doors and highlights
- All new electrical outlets data boards and heritage pendant lights
- Construction of a switchboard wall and communications hub
- Stripping 500sqm of lead paint front the floors and ceilings
- Removing all lead dust from the ceiling space
- Re rendering and white setting all walls with ashlar coursing
- Painting all internal walls, ceilings, windows and doors
- Tilings to new amenity area floors and external porch
- All new mechanical ducted air conditioning to all of 1st floor
- Installing new access cast iron side gates
- New stone thresholds to entry ways
- Cleaning down all the façade of all four elevations
Congratulations to everyone for bringing this project to a safe completion and a special thanks to the project team, subcontractors and suppliers.