St John’s College Refurbishment
Gartner Rose completed various stages of works at the beautiful 1868 heritage listed St John’s College over an extended period of time to a design by Hector Abrahams Architects.
This project was undertaken in a live environment, with the residential college maintaining operation throughout the upgrade project. Works were carefully staged to minimise impact on the students living in the college, as well as maintaining operation of existing fire services whilst others were upgraded. The works were carried out over a total of six stages.
STAGES ONE AND TWO
The scope of works included the upgrade and refurbishment of the ablution facilities and kitchenettes throughout the residential college, within exacting heritage standards.
The Polding Wing underwent an upgrade of existing corridors and stairs across all floors, as well as the conversion of the attic area to provide new bedrooms, bathrooms, and dormer windows. The fire stairs extended to this additional level were constructed to meet fire safety standards. Emergency Warning and Intercommunication System (EWIS), fire detection, smoke doors and fire doors, emergency and exit lighting were all included in the upgrades.
Furthermore, the Nagle Library and Philosophical Room were completely restored with the installation of raised platforms in both rooms, with new joinery, study areas and a librarian’s office. Works included new lighting and electrical throughout. The ceiling of the Philosophical Room saw 23 karat gold leaf applied to the ceilings while chevron pattern parquetry was laid to the floor.
Spanning eight weeks of construction, Gartner Rose completed the reformation of the commercial kitchen. Refurbishment works included the installation of a hygienic wall system, further to new covering and waterproofing throughout. In addition, all stainless-steel fixtures were rejuvenated and all equipment was reinstated to its original location.
The car park works involved the demolition of the existing redundant concrete and the construction of a new carpark surface. From Parramatta Road, new bollards were installed along the driveway further to new fencing. The carpark was also fitted with a new drainage system.
Construction and the installation of the new steel handrails throughout the Mary Chapel and Entrance Hall of the 1868 heritage listed building.
This stage saw the refurbishment of the student quadrangle within a live college environment. Paving works included a new permeable Hydroston paved outdoor dining area, a new raised sandstone dais and a new sandstone pathway from the student dining hall utilising sandstone with light banding. New tactile, handrails and lighting was also installed to the cloister area.
Education, Heritage Restoration
St John’s College
July 2017 - March 2019