Central Station Northwest Vertical Transport Project Completion
We are delighted to advise the safe and successful completion of the new lift, escalator & stairs at Central Station – the Northwest Vertical Transport project for Sydney Trains.
The heritage-listed Central Railway Station is the largest station of the Sydney Trains network and the busiest on the network. Gartner Rose returned to Central Station to complete the works located within the Northwest Corner – all within a heritage significant environment.
Gartner Rose undertook significant demolition works to accommodate the new structures including the removal of the existing escalators and concrete stairs. Gartner Rose constructed the new 27-passenger glazed lift, two escalators and a precast concrete stairway. The stairway was completed with glass balustrades and stainless steel handrails. A significant lighting upgrade was also included in all elements of the build which also included security & wayfinding upgrades.
Associated works include but are not limited to:
- significant structural works for new infrastructure,
- installation of a steel and glazed 27-person lift shaft,
- installation of two new escalators,
- construction of an updated access stair and balustrading,
- installation of a skylight into the heritage-listed canopy,
- ground floor paving and concourse tiling,
- provision of an upgraded power supply associated with the new structures,
- updated Wayfinding signage,
- updated integrated lighting,
- installation of CCTV,
- repairing the heritage-listed stonework, and
- construction of new back of house ST office.
Congratulations to everyone for bringing this project to a safe completion and a special thanks to the project team, subcontractors and suppliers.
Please see Central Station Northwest Vertical Transport Project for more information.