Parramatta Lifts Replacement Project Completion
We are delighted to announce the safe and successful completion of the Parramatta Lift Replacement Design and Construct Project for Sydney Trains.
The scope of work included the removal and replacement of two existing hydraulic lifts with machine roomless electrical lifts including electrical sub-main replacement, fire system modification and associated building modification works.
To cater for the 2 new and 3 existing lifts, 20 submain cables were installed averaging approximately 60m each. The cables had to be installed through conduits in the platform and into the eastern concourse suspended ceiling.
Some of the challenges faced throughout the project included:
- Managing extensive night works
- Managing double shifts
- Extensive consultant and client management
- Management of latent conditions
- Multiple variation works and rectification works
Despite the challenges faced this provided us with the opportunities to apply innovative ideas that proved to bring value to the project. Some of the innovations and benefits applied were:
- Utilisation of innovative proprietary Titan Hoardings. Benefits includes rapid mobilisation, self-certification and zero penetrations to surrounding surfaces
- Refurbishment of waterproofing membrane to lift shaft roof 6 and 7. This will prevent future leaks that appear to have plagued the lift shafts for the duration of their lives
- Reestablishment of a hidden and backfilled platform pit. This will allow future cable maintenance, pulling of new cables and cable inspection
- Replacement of all Eastern Station Lift Submains. This will prevent platform excavation for future upgrades
Special thanks to the project team, consultants and subcontractors that have not hesitated to help bring this project to a safe and successful completion.