Central Station North West Vertical Transport
The heritage listed Central Railway Station is the largest station on the Sydney Trains network and the busiest station on the network. Gartner Rose returned to Central Station to complete works located within the North West Corner of the Station – all within a heritage significant environment.
Gartner Rose undertook significant demolition works to accommodate the new structures, including the removal of the existing escalators and concrete stairs. Gartner Rose constructed a new 27 passenger glazed lift, two escalators and precast concrete stairway. The new stairway was completed with new glass balustrades and stainless-steel handrails. A significant lighting upgrade was included into all elements of the build which included security and wayfinding upgrades.
Gartner Rose and our specialist subcontractor, DRP, also completed remedial works to the existing sandstone walls at Central Station. These works included for the removal of non-heritage fixings, repointing of the joints, replacement of stone and specialist cleaning of the overall sandstone wall.
Associated works included, but were not limited to:
- Significant structural works for new infrastructure
- Installation of a steel and glazed 27 person lift shaft
- Installation of two new escalators
- Construction of a new access stair and balustrading
- Install of a new skylight into the heritage listed canopy
- Ground floor paving and concourse tiling
- Provision of new power supply associated with the new structures
- New wayfinding signage
- New integrated lighting
- Installation of CCTV
- Construction of new back of house Sydney Trains office
January 2021 - March 2022