Whalers Arms Hotel
This project involved the complete heritage restoration of the Whalers Arm Hotel.
This magnificent sandstone building began life in 1842 as the Young Princess Hotel, a local landmark in Millers Point (The Rocks). At some point in its life, it became the Whalers Arms Hotel, initially servicing (as the name suggests) the whaling community. During the mid twentieth century it was converted into a general store, before being abandoned and left to deteriorate, helped by squatters who took up residence.
In 2006 the Department of Housing granted a private client a 99 year lease on the condition that the property was meticulously restored in line with its heritage. Restoration included stripping and rebuilding the entire interior of the four story building, as well as repairing and repointing all the external stone. Original balconies were reconstructed, the chimneys were rebuilt and the roof rebuilt and re-slated. The interior of the building was completed to the highest prestige residential standards.
QH Nominees Pty Ltd
December 2006 - October 2007